Saturday, December 29, 2007

Is not making a resolution a resolution anyway?

It's that time of year where we sit down with ourselves and decide if we are going to make any resolutions for the up coming year. I usually resolve to not make any resolution at New Year's time because this date seems rather arbitrary to me. Can't we make resolution on the 5th of October? Why is January 1st any better? If you are Jewish do you make them on Rosh Hashanah? I have been someone that thinks that life is an on going project that needs evaluation and revamping periodically as situations dictate. This past year though I feel like I have been doing just that becuase I have had so many situations that needed my attention.

The only thing you can rely is that there is nothing that you can rely on. That is not to say that there are people you can't rely on but that situations in life that we think are firm and sure are neither. No matter how confident you are that you are safe in one situation there is always a possibility that things can change and this is neither good nor bad it just is. I do believe, even with that said, that this year I am going to make some resolutions. I feel I have been stuck in a bit of a rut for the past year or so and I really need to lay down some goals to achieve. Goals have timetables and dreams don't and all I have had lately is dreams.

Over the next couple of days I will list my resolutions/goals here for all to see in the hope that making them public will help me stick to them.

No comments: