Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Doing my part, are you?

I long for the days when I would drive around town and try to find the gas station that had gas at less the a $1.30 a gallon? I know I maybe dating myself but that was less than 10 years ago. Now I am searching online to find gas that is as close to $4.00 a gallon as possible. Now in the ten years since my salary has not increase 4 fold to keep up with this. So what is this one man to do? I could win the lottery but I actually think I'm not the only one trying this tact. I could telecommute but first I would have to find a job that would allow me to do that. I could sell it all and move to an island and start bartending at a beach bar, I haven't discussed this with the wife but I think she would be down with that.

Seriously what I am doing is finding other modes of transportation. My hours at work are not the most conducive to taking the bus even though it is a short walk to the bus stop form my house. I only live less then 3 miles from my job so I have decided to ride my bike. I bought the bike about 4 years ago and never really used it as much as I would have like to. I have always like going on bike rides and I have always said I would rather ride ten miles on a bike then jog one mile. The only problem with the bike riding is that I get off of work at 10:30 in the evening and it is mostly up hill on the way home. I have the requisite lights, the bright head light and the blinking tail light and reflective gear, a crazy yellow reflective vest you can see from the moon if there is light shined on it. I have been doing it for about a week now and I am actually enjoying the time that I am alone on the road. It has been very healthy for me both physically and mentally. The best part is that I am barley using my car and I have stretched out the times between fill ups. I may not put an end to the OPEC cartel but damn its making a difference in my wallet. So as my bank account gets bigger my waistline is getting smaller and the oil companies aren't getting richer and that is something.

What are you doing?

No comments: